February 23, 2018

Welcome Federal Exemptions!

Oregon bankruptcy debtors now have two options when they file bankruptcy: they can elect to use Oregon Exemptions or Federal Exemptions when protecting property. (Exemptions are laws that protect property when a person files bankruptcy).

Federal exemptions, most importantly, provide very liberal “Wild Card” exemptions, or exemptions that can be applied to any property.

The Wild Card exemption amounts to $1,225.00 plus up to $11,500.00 of any unused Homestead exemption applied to any property.  These Wild Card exemptions can be stacked, or added, to other existing exemptions to increase the amount of personal property that can be protected when filing bankruptcy.

Simply stated, with the new Federal exemptions in place, more personal property will be protected when filing bankruptcy.

This is very good news when filing bankruptcy.



Pursuant to 11 U.S. Code § 528: "I am a debt relief agency. I help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

CAUTION: This website is to provide visitors with basic information about my law office, and information about how to contact me. Every situation is different, and no information on this website is legal advice on any specific question. You should not act on any of the information without first conferring with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by visiting this site or by unsolicited email. Therefore, initial emails should not contain any confidential information. I may already represent parties adverse to you and cannot advise or represent you until we check for conflicts. I am licensed only in Oregon and offer my services only to those doing business in Oregon, unless I am associated with local counsel in accordance with other states' laws. The applicable laws may have changed after the information on this website was published. While effort is made to keep the information current, you should not presume that all information is up to date. You must confer with an attorney to be sure you have current information.